It all started in 1996 when Mommy and Daddy fell in love. They were still in high school when they started dating and dated for about five years before they were engaged. They tied the knot on June 15, 2002 and Daddy started dental school while Mommy started teaching high school math. This went on for a few years and then Daddy and Mommy started to want a baby. Mommy even read a book a year before they started trying on how to best prepare her body for pregnancy. She started eating better, exercised, took vitamins, talked with Daddy about future plans, and felt prepared and excited to have a baby in 2005.
Mommy figured she would get pregnant right away since women in her family tend to be that way. She fully expected to be having a baby in the spring or summer of 2006 and tried to arrange it to best fit into her teaching schedule. They started trying to make me, but Mommy’s body didn’t cooperate. She says that Aunt Flo (whom I’ve never met, but Mommy assures me I’ll get to meet someday) would only come to visit every 90 days or so and that really made things challenging. Mommy was getting frustrated very quickly as others around her started to expect babies.
In January of 2006, Mommy went to see a specialist. He gave her some medicine called Clomid to help things along. She was convinced that she was going to expect a baby soon after that. Clomid did some crazy things to Mommy. She had hot flashes and was very emotional. Sometimes she was even mean and had to apologize for things she said. For four months Mommy and Daddy rode the emotional rollercoaster before they went in for more testing. The miracle medicine just wasn’t working for them.
Mommy and Daddy got terrible news in June of 2006. They found out their chances of making a baby on their own were extremely low. Not only that, but the problems weren’t easy to fix. Mommy cried and cried and cried. Then she picked herself up and decided to try something else. She was nowhere near the point of giving up on me. Mommy and Daddy proceeded with a Follistim and IUI cycle. For those of you that watch Jon & Kate Plus 8, that’s what they did that ended up with sextuplets. Anyway, Mommy’s body over responded to the medicine and the doctors were afraid she would get six babies just like Kate. She also got very sick and had to go to the hospital to get checked out. Despite all of that, Mommy and Daddy still weren’t expecting even one baby. That was a big letdown!
It was time to get serious. Daddy started his Oral Surgery residency so all medical treatments were now free so they figured, why not? Mommy’s body didn’t handle the IUI cycle well so they didn’t want to repeat it. It was time for the big guns. In August of 2006, they went to the specialist to see about starting an IVF with ICSI cycle. It was very overwhelming, but they were ready for their dreams to come true and willing to try almost anything. Their first IVF cycle ended in disaster in December of 2006. That’s a whole other story that Mommy will tell me when I’m much, much older. You can see the sadness in Mommy's eyes on December 31, 2006. If only she knew she'd be nursing me as she rang in the next new year.
Mommy lost a piece of her heart, but was ready to start another IVF cycle in February of 2007. Mommy started getting shots in March and Daddy took very good care of her. He did all of the shots and gave her stickers for every single one. Even mommies need encouragement sometimes. Mommy had lots of bruises and her tummy didn’t feel good, but she knew that a baby would be worth it all. Her body responded very well to all of the baby-making medicine and the doctors told her to come in to see them on April 5th.
Aunt Emily came to stay and help Mommy. She drove Mommy to the hospital early in the morning. They listened to Weird Al on the way because Mommy listened to it on the way to every appointment to break the tension. Aunt Emily dropped her off and wished her luck and Daddy met Mommy upstairs. He had already been working that morning and was only able to take off a few hours. Mommy put on a gown and kissed Daddy goodbye before she was wheeled into surgery. That’s where the magic happened. Dr. Chris removed a couple dozen eggs from Mommy while she slept. He did a great job. Daddy went to the Daddy “Fun Room” and he did his part to make babies too. Mommy woke up and was happy to hear that everything went well. Daddy drove her home and got her settled in with Aunt Emily as nurse. They watched movies and hung out until Daddy got home from work to take over.
Mommy wondered how I was doing the next day and she found out that 15 of her eggs were fertilized and they froze 8 embryos right away. Embryos are potential babies with a bunch of luck and love. She was soooo happy that I was growing nice and healthy and couldn’t wait for me to be back in her belly. On April 10th, they transferred two embryos back into Mommy. One of them was me and one of them was my guardian angel. In fact, I have an angel’s kiss above my right eye and Mommy likes to think it was from him. This is Mommy's first pregnancy picture that was taken a few minutes after they put me in her.This is a picture of me with my guardian angel. I don't know for sure which one was me, but I think I'm on the right. Mommy nicknamed us Thunder and Lightning. Lightning came on fast and looked very pretty, but Thunder came from behind and was very strong. Maybe that's why she calls me Strong Woman so much.
I stayed safe and sound in Mommy until December 29, 2007. I gave Mommy a couple of scares, but overall she had a very easy pregnancy. She loved being pregnant, but she was so glad to meet me after a long labor.
This picture was taken a few hours before Mommy went into labor. She was 40 weeks pregnant.So that’s my story. Now I understand why Mommy cries sometimes when I smile and laugh. I understand why she holds me so tight. She’s so full of love for me and so grateful for the gift of my life. Someday, I hope to have a brother or sister. Afterall, my siblings could already be made. They’re chilling out just a couple of floors away from where Daddy works every day. Wouldn’t that be cool if my brother or sister had the same miracle day as me? We’d kind of be like twins.


Note from Andrea: Please leave comments to wish Mina a happy Miracle Day. Thanks for all of your support through our journey! We plan to celebrate Miracle Day every year. I hope all of you that are trying have a Miracle Day very, very soon.

31 comments:
That made me cry! Happy conception day Mina! Your mama and daddy worked very hard to get you here so dont act up! LOL
I am so happy that the hard road of infertility ended with a beautiful baby girl.
Candice
Awww!! That was so sweet! It made me cry at the end! :-) Happy Miracle Day little Mina!! We love you!
-Christine (Teeny119 - Prg.org Dec. 07)
Oh my gosh! I'm all teary eyed. I know I've told your Mom this before, but IVF babies are so wonderful. Your mom and dad's strength amaze me. They've worked so hard for you! Have a good day and enjoy the world!
Happy miracle day Mina!!! What a wonderful story!!!
Happy Miracle Day Sweetheart! You made Auntie cry! Mommy didn't tell you some of the funny parts (maybe because she was a little loopy, but otherwise a perfect patient.) Anyway, we tried to keep things a secret because we didn't want Mommy to feel even more pressure (It's a BIG job to grow babies). Anyway. Grandma H. was calling everyone because she just got back from Florida. I called her from your house and we were sure to make Euclid quiet, but we forgot about the clock. Luckily, Grandma didn't notice as it chimed and chimed. Uncle Jason almost spilled the beans too because he just plain talks too much. We laughed and laughed about how sneaky we were. Then Mommy and Daddy were so happy when they got to share the news of you, and everyone was so happy to hear it! We love you so much!
Happy Miracle Day, Mina! your post made me cry. I'm so happy for you and for your mommy and daddy.
What a beautiful story, it made me cry! Mina you are such a blessing to your Mommy and Daddy, thank you for being here!
Happy Miracle Day, Mina! what a wonderful post!
Happy Miracle Day to our Sweet Pea/Sunshine! You have brought much joy to our family, and we love you!
Grandpa and Grandma D.
Happy Miracle Day, Mina! So happy for you and your parents!
Happy Miracle Day Mina! You're a very special, very loved little girl.
- Amy (Dese @ pregnancy.org Dec. 07)
Happy miracle day!!! What a special Mommy you have to write such a beautiful story for you. We celebrate our miracle day around here, too!
Happy Miracle Day Mina, you are very loved.
Happy Miracle Day Mina!! What a sweet way to tell such a beautiful story. You have me teary-eyed!
- Kara (KaraM1282- pg.org)
Happy Miracle Day! It is such a miracle. Mina is just beautiful and Mommy is telling her story perfectly.
-Chris (another IVF mommy isabellabambina)
Happy miracle day, beautiful Mina! I work at a doctors office that helps mommies and daddies have miracle babies just like you, i have the best job ever! sometimes it can be sad though. Your mommy and daddy are so so lucky to have you and you are so loved! I can't wait to read about your brothers/sisters when they get to continue growing in your mommy!
How great to share your story! Mina this was such a great day for your parents, you and hopefully you will be big sister some day!!
Best wishes to the whole family!
Cori
I'm crying so hard right now. Miracle Days are the best, we'll celebrate ours too. We are so glad Mina is here and mommy and daddy have a special day to celebrate. Thank God for IVF!
I am crying! God Bless you little Mina with a wonderful life. You have a wonderful mama and will be a wonderful big sister one day.
-Cynthia brooks22
You got me all teary-eyed! Happy Miracle Day Mina!!!
~Carrie
mscstephens (pg.org)
Oh sweet baby, congratulations on the anniversary of your conception! Much love to you and your parents.
Michelle
Happy Miracle Day Minnie! You even more wonderful that I could hope for.
I'm proud of your Mom and Dad, they never gave up and look what good comes from perseverance. Love
Grandpa H
Happy Miracle Day Mina! Your mom is an amazing woman (don't "know" your dad)! I love watching you grow on your blog...you are SO cute! :-)
I'm very happy with my 3 girls - even though they are sneaky at times - and I think it's wonderful that each of my girls has at least one girl (Claudia has 2).
Love,
Mom (Grandma H)
Happy Miracle Day to you Mina - you are a gift!
Happy Miracle Day, Mina!! We are all wild about you! Keep being a sweet girl for mommy and daddy.
Sound like you had a great Miracle Day! We are so happy that you are here with us. You are one of the best miracles I know!! We are proud of your mommy & daddy for making you, even though it was hard work. You were definitely worth it!
We love you!
Aunt Claudia GM (and Uncle Matt GF, Hailey & Macy)
Happy Miracle Day, Precious Mina! You choke me up--and also make me laugh! A lot of people are very happy your parents never gave up.
Great-Aunt Lois
Precious Mina, you are a miracle baby. We celebrate your life every day and are so thrilled for Mommy and Daddy.
Hugs, Great Aunt Shirley
Congratulations to all of you! You have such a touching story, and I'm so glad you have Mina. Babies truly are a miracle!
Happy Miracle Day Mina! Reading your story brought tears to my eyes. I;m so happy for your Mom and Dad and you are such a beautiful blessing.
Kim
Post a Comment